The Conjuring: Last Rites is all set to conclude the mainline series that began with James Wan's 2013 film, The Conjuring. It kicked off a franchise that has been widely successful and cherished.
The upcoming film will bring Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson back as Lorraine and Ed Warren, who have turned the couple's real-life relationship into a cinematic legacy. While they headlined the franchise's namesake follow-up projects, they have also left an imprint on the spin-off film series, whether it's The Nun or Annabelle.
Based on the generous response the films have received so far, the viewers might want to see the Warrens return to the universe, if not in the mainline franchise, then in the next phase, much like Marvel Studios' projects.
In line with this, Collider asked James Wan, the creative voice behind this franchise, about the possibility of a similar Phase 2 of the Warrens' stories. He said,
"I don't know. I guess just the lore of the real-life Ed and Lorraine Warren is so rich, like the characters are so rich, the lore's so rich, that they still really have a lot of stories left. And, I don't know, the idea of a Judy and Tony story — who knows?"
Is The Conjuring: Last Rites going to kick off Phase 2 of the franchise? James Wan's answer explored
James Wan spearheaded the Conjuring franchise since its inception, either as a writer, director, or executive producer. People often associate him with his work on this series, much like Saw or Insidious.
The mystery horror universe of The Conjuring, which he co-created in 2013, is reportedly entering its final chapter with The Conjuring: Last Rites. So, the fans might wonder about the franchise's future, whether through the mainline series or the spin-off projects.
During the Collider interview, James Wan didn't offer a definitive answer about the fate of the franchise. However, he seems open to the possibility of another phase of the series. He also spoke about the rich "lore of the real-life Ed and Lorraine Warren," which makes him want to keep the door open for potential franchise expansion opportunities.
In the interview, Wan shed light on ways in which the franchise can enter phase two. He said,
"There are many ways to approach this. But I guess I try not to give it too much thought at this point. I want to be respectful to where we are right now and focus on saying goodbye to this one."
Since The Conjuring: Last Rites will wind down the ongoing chapter, Wan revealed why the team made this decision. He said,
"We all felt like we don't want to be making the 30th movie down the line and have driven the franchise into the ground. We love the idea of actually just going out on a high, whilst we're still on top. There's something kind of nice about it, to kind of not soil the legacy, if you will. It just felt like, I don't know, the right thing to do."
He further added,
"You never know what could happen down the line. But for now, it's a bittersweet farewell."
The Conjuring: Last Rites is slated to be released in US theaters on September 5, 2025.
Also read: The Conjuring: Last Rites director shares his feelings on directing the last film in the franchise
Love movies? Try our Box Office Game and Movie Grid Game to test your film knowledge and have some fun!